Who can apply for a SGO?
To apply for a SGO, you must not be the child’s birth parent, and you must be over 18 years old.
You can apply if:
- You are the child’s foster carer, and they have lived with you for at least a year prior to your application.
- The child has lived with you for at least three of the last five years, and they have not stopped living with you more than three months before you applied.
- You are the child’s guardian.
- The child is in local authority care, but the local authority agrees to your application.
- You have a Child Arrangements Order or a Residence Order.
- You are the child’s relative, and they have lived with you for at least a year before you applied.
- You have been given permission to apply by those with parental responsibility for the child.
- The family court has given you permission to apply.
If you are applying for a SGO as a joint applicant, you do not need to be married to the other applicant.